Friday, June 4, 2010

Gulf Oil Disaster

Seldom if ever do I wander into political topics on Women's Hunting Journal. I purposely steer clear because I do not like politics, to me it is humans acting badly. At this time though I find myself outraged at what has taken place in the Gulf of Mexico. While I can no longer watch the TV coverage of the devastation because it brings me to tears. Footage of oil covered birds gasping for their last breaths of life affects me deeply and I know this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding species affected and the massive carnage that has and will continue for many months, if not years to come. The back door deals and political handshakes covered with greed all to increase the bottom line and an individual or group whose ego's are horribly out of control. These are a few of the reasons why I dislike "politics".

The damage being done has wiped out livelihoods for the entire Oyster and Shrimp industry, and that which it supported. I feel there will be a greater hole left as a result of families relocating to try to find a job so as to support their families. The Gulf will never be the same from this day forward. While the oil continues to gush from the depths of the ocean the tsunami at the top is just beginning. There will be more than just a ripple effect from this disaster I feel.

I just read a recent post at Women's Outdoor News about the NWTF establishing The Gulf Coast Conservation Emergency Fund to help during this horrific crisis. Thank you NWTF for establishing this fund. I am scouring the internet for like mined organizations such as Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited to see what their involvement will be. Delta Waterfowl has sent a letter to Sect'y of The Department of the Interior Ken Salazar and BP President Lamar McKay stating their position, read more. Ducks Unlimited has issued their statement as well, read more. I commend these organizations for their involvement and hard work preserving the fragile habitat which so many species call home.

I feel that those of us who blog about our love of the outdoors have a special connection to our natural world. A connection that not everyone understands or feels in their soul, certainly not BP and the associated greed mongers of our human population. I have thought about Casey at Wandering Owl Outside and how he feels about this, as he is a volunteer for Amphibian counts which are already disappearing at an alarming rate. Those of you who are in America's Heartland will undoubtedly feel the impact before those of us on either coast. Jody at The Hunter's Wife and Jenn at A Blessed Crazy Life come to mind first. I know there are hundreds more in the heartland, yet these are 2 that I frequent the most.

On a closing note I hear the outrage from local people in the region although I have wondered where the rest of the country's rage is? I haven't heard it as yet. I am fully outraged with this disaster and at the same time feel quite inadequate as to what I can do to help. Perhaps it is time to read again Terry Tempest Williams book titled Finding Beauty In A Broken World, yes I believe I will do just that. She is an amazing writer addressing the most serious issues that life offers us. Through her writings of life's all encompassing experiences, I am able to glean a bit of solace. Sadly the title rings true. We will get beyond this disaster and I hope that we as a nation learn from it and take appropriate action to preclude this from happening again, my fear is that history will repeat itself as is the case more often than not.

Womem's Hunting Journal Integrity For The Hunt

13 comments:

Main Line Sportsman said...

Well posted my dear...I to am almost brought to tears by the images of waterfowl choking and dying in a pool of petro-sludge. As a an avid waterfowl hunter I have spent countless hours in and on marshes and coastal ecosystems. The beauty and delicacy of these natural areas never fails to inspire and amaze me. To think of the devastation visited on the coastlands in the Gulf and the wildlife make me sick...and the efforts to remedy this problem are impotent to this point. I am appalled at how both the Left and Right are simply using this tragedy as an excuse to excoriate the other side...rather than doing something constructive. As a DU member I have already e-mailed my local and State reps on this issue and have sent a letter to The Sierra Club as well....Let's hope it gets fixed soon and pray for all creatures and people who are suffering....and in the final analysis let's make the greedy swine at BP pay the tab...

Terry Scoville said...

Main Line,
Thank you for your comments and for writing your political reps etc. I have done the same. Sadly I feel that no matter the amount of money that is paid to compensate those who have suffered grave losses it does little if any to address the real problems of our society.

Jennifer Montero said...

All the terrible things that are happening recently: recession, greedy banks, wars - if there was one thing I could fix or stop it would be the gulf spill. The economic and political situation we did to ourselves. This spill we've done to every single living thing, and it will continue to wreak its devastation for decades to come.

Hunters can be part of the solution (if there's one). We observe changes in migration patterns, numbers of birds, any other pressures on the birds such as changes to feeding grounds or predator pressures. We can add our observations to the data. We've got to think positively.

Terry Scoville said...

Jennifer, you are absolutely spot on. Yes we do need to stay optimistic in the face of such devastation. To do otherwise is to give up. Although this too in my opinion was driven by the almighty dollar. Greed, it's not a pretty sight.

wanderingowloutside said...

Hi Terry! Great post. Unfortunate subject. I myself haven't tackled this yet - in a written post. But soon will, I think.

I think this is going to be an earth-changer. Environmentally. And I hope it will be an earth-changer in regards to human Culture.

I absolutely DREAD what may happen this fall when the waterfowl migration hits the gulf estuaries and this mess hasn't gone away. Millions of ducks unknowingly landing in this. It is hard to imagine and my head spins and stomach turns thinking about it.

Thanks for the shout out. But as of yet, I can't get a handle on this thing. I do think it is worth inciting a riot or strike of some sort over, but I have a family to think about. Which brings up another problem. If something isn't done now, what about future generations??

Sorry for the long-winded comment. Peace.

Casey

Terry Scoville said...

WO, no need to apologize for being long winded, that is what we need now and plenty of it! Big winds, big noise in the right ears and a concern for future generations as you said. I agree the full scope of this is out of my comprehension too, though what I do understand scares the hell out of me!

Blessed said...

Hey Terry!

I am broken-hearted by this spill. It is awful. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the environmental damage that is being done. Then the loss of human life when the oil rig blew - all those families - for them the environmental consequences of the spill are insignificant compared to their personal loss.

I don't villianize BP - I truly do feel that they are doing their best to get the situation under control. All the name-calling, blame-placing, garbage that our government is doing - instead of simply coming alongside and offering a helping hand in order to get the situation under control as quickly as possible? The politicians who have no understanding to the forces of nature/physics/science that we're working with here? Those are the real problems. I'm not saying that BP hasn't done anything wrong - I'm just saying that right now 100% of the focus needs to be on stopping the damage and getting it under control - then we can deal with the how this happened/who is at fault/what should be done to keep it from happening again arguments.

Terry Scoville said...

Blessed,
I agree fully and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Rick Kratzke said...

Terry, like you I have no need or interest in politics. I basically feel it is a waste human intelligence.
I am saddened but what has happened in the gulf and how cleanup has been dragged along due to politics.
If they just stopped blaming eachother and plainly did less talking and more doing than maybe, just maybe they might SAVE something.

The Hunter's Wife said...

Terry, It is such an unfortunate situation for all of those involved. I can't bring myself to look at the images of what it's done anymore. But I feel like the others, now is not the time to place blame as most news stations and political figures are so eager to point out. That resolves nothing at this point.

I live in the Midwest among many that have been effected by the economy working at our local steel mills. I've always heard BP was a good company to work for and have many friends employed by BP. I hate to see what it will do to them as well. As I said, it is such an unfortunate situation for all of those involved. Especially for those that make their living in the fishing industry and for the wildlife it has destroyed.

Like you, I will be scouring the internet to see what organizations are doing to help.

Tovar Cerulli said...

Thanks for this post, Terry.

The whole thing is so heartbreaking, for hunters, anglers, birders, sailors--anyone who feels a connection to the natural world and to birds and fish in particular.

Barbara Baird said...

Thanks for the shout out, and for the thought-provoking post. Where is the outrage? You're right.

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Hi Terry, I've been busy with a sick dog (Happy) and a litter of 6 Gordon Setter puppies, but I'm catchin' up now. Glad to see this post and all the comments. Like you said, it's important for sportsmen and sportswomen to stand up for our wetlands and help protect them. We know greedy politicians are going to solve the problem!

Related Posts with Thumbnails