Monday, March 12, 2012

Happy 12 th. Birthday Jet

My best friend and hunting partner Jet reaches another special day.  I remember very well the day I first picked her out of the litter at 3 and a half weeks young. She was the round one as all Lab pups are at that age but she also loved to be in the middle of the puppy pile. Not on the bottom or outside edge and heaven forbid off in the corner, oh no she knew exactly where she was going to be. Thankfully she has trained me well too. I have come to appreciate her idiosyncrasies and her looks of "you've got to be joking, right". She has retrieved her fare share of birds over the years and though she is for the most part retired now, I still share my stories and birds with her and try to get her a pheasant or snipe each Fall. She has taught me the most of all my Labs when it comes to training. Most of what she taught me is the importance of setting her up for success and seeing the world from her perspective, quite literally. She is even more vertically challenged than myself and I have come to appreciate her perspective. These days she is mostly content with a comfortable bed, a couple nice walks with lots of good things to sniff and pee on and lest we not forget her 2 squares a day, and any extra is fine too.  I cherish each day we have together cause I know what lies ahead and it just tears me up inside. So til then we will enjoy each others company, our own little quirks and lots of belly rubs. I am very thankful for my Jet and her loyalty, companionship and teachings about what really matters.
Happy Happy Birthday Jet!

Much love, your mom

Women's Hunting Journal         Integrity For The Hunt 

8 comments:

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

I'm sure glad you have your priorities straight, Terry. Happy birthday to Sweet Jet. Many she have many more hunting days before her!

Terry Scoville said...

Thanks Karen from the both of us. Good to hear from you!!!

Main Line Sportsman said...

Breaks ones heart to admit they are too old for the field...and we love them dearly. Happy Birthday to her!

Terry Scoville said...

Main line, you are so right. Thanks for the wishes!

Unknown said...

There is nothing better than s fine bird dog! Happy Birthday Jet!

Downeast Duck Hunter said...

Throughout the years, I've enjoyed reading about your times with Jet on and off the field. Here's to a few more good years, hope all is well with you Terry.

Tony

Jennifer Montero said...

You've got me tearing up reading that. And I always aim for "setting them up to succeed" when I work with my dogs. Great to hear that phrase! My dogs mean everything to me too. In fact, even my husband accepts that he comes second in my affection to the pack. Give Jet a well-earned pat from us.

Terry Scoville said...

Thanks Jennifer and Jet is my everything too. So glad to have her as my teacher, she is truly a very gentle spirit and her ability to just roll with it is quite remarkable. Love her dearly, pats all around!

Related Posts with Thumbnails