Friday, December 11, 2009

Sub Zero and Wood Chips

Hello to one and all! I just thought I'd give you all a quick update on the past weeks events.

The week started out with getting materials for a large dovetail drawer order on Monday. Before I begin routing the dovetails the material is machined to 5/8" thickness using first a jointer then a thickness planer. Then I go to the table saw and rip the maple to specific widths followed by the chop saw where it is cut to specified lenghts. Then it is ready to be routed into dovetail drawers. Followed by ripping the groove for the drawer bottoms, then sand the inside surfaces of the drawer before they are glued, assembled and pin nailed. After which more sanding (and puttying if needed) then the backs are notched on the table saw using a dado blade for bottom mount drawer guides which sit up under the drawer sides. After that comes routing a 1/4 radius on the top edges of the drawers with the exception of the front outside edge where an applied drawer front will go. Then I sand the radius and give the drawer a quick once over before calling it done. Phew, so lets see. . . I have 33 finished from stock of 8" and wider(inside drawer depth) and am now working on the last 40 which are smaller in height and will take a third less time to sand etc. Delivery day is this coming Monday, so I guess you figured it out already that I won't be in the marsh this weekend. Which brings me to the other noteworthy highlight of this week.

Sub zero temps and I am talking really cold, like try about - 28 degrees F. That'll put a damper on your waterfowl hunting. Only the fact that every piece of water is now frozen and then some. I imagine the birds that were here in Central Oregon are either hanging on the faster stretches of water on the Deschutes River or have gone South. I know I'd head south if I were a feathered fowl. Being a woodworker has its advantages for sure, especially in the winter. Now as for summer, then I'm missing being outdoors. The trade off is well worth it and I am glad to not be an excavator. That would be a miserable job during winter, just ask my hunting buddy John about that. Fortunately we only had 4 or so days of that sub zero and now we are back with seasonal averages. Not quite tropical, but close!

Well enough ramblings, time to go relax for awhile then get busy finishing up my drawers. Have a good weekend everyone and I hope to be back out in the field next week. Jet is even starting to get a bit of cabin fever so we'll be going hunting somewhere. Even if it's only to take my shotgun for a walk it'll be good to get out and stretch our legs a bit.

Women's Hunting Journal Integrity for The Hunt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry it sounds like you got enough to keep you occupied for a bit. 28 degrees is a little on the chilly side, we are getting that here. BRRRR

Stay warm and keep us posted, it's good to hear from you.

HuntingBloggers.com said...

I hope it gets back up to the seasonal averages soon. Cabin fever is te worst - a long walk sounds like the perfect remedy. Have a great weekend!

Terry Scoville said...

Thanks Rick, will be done with drawers on schedule and delivered with a smile on Monday morning.

HB.com, thanks for stopping by. Yea I am looking forward to getting out. Temps are warming nicely and with some luck I'll find some waterfowl.

EcoRover said...

Saw your comment over at mdmnn about "single digits" and thought, geez, that's tannin' weather! Glad to know we're sharing a bit of this -20+ below! Believe it not, you get used to it (so long as the wind's not blowin').

Related Posts with Thumbnails