Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chocolate Espresso Fudge Cakes

Oh my goodness, I thought my brownie recipe was seriously rich with chocolate. This recipe goes to the next level and beyond! While visiting some of my dearest friends who spent their Spring break here at Sunriver in Central Oregon this past week, I was treated to this intoxicating chocolate espresso dessert. It does take a little time to make, yet is well worth it. Also it is a dessert that one can not eat quickly, at least not by me.

Ingredients:

3/4 c. all purpose flour
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
5 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. fresh eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 dark chocolate bar finely chopped, such as Valrhona Le Noir or Green and Black's 85% cocoa

Preparation:

1. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level w/knife. Add cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, salt and sift together.

2. In a large bowl add butter and mix at med speed for 1 minute. Add both sugars and blend for approx. 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla beating until well blended. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture, then fold in chocolate.

3. Divide batter evenly among 10 (4-ounce) ramekins. Arrange ramekins on a cookie sheet cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 2 days.

4. Preheat oven to 350

5. Let ramekins stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before cooking. Place in oven uncovered for 21 minutes or until cakes are puffy and slightly crusty on top. Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot immediately. The top should be cooked and appear cake like while the inside will have the consistency of pudding.

Servings 10, calories vary depending on type of dark chocolate used.

An ice cold glass of milk is a fine accompaniment to wash down this decadently rich dessert. Also if caffeine keeps you up at night, than I suggest having this wonderful dessert after a fine lunch.

My thanks and appreciation go to my friends Stephanie and Leah for sharing this recipe with me, so that I can share it with all of you. Enjoy!

Women's Hunting Journal Integrity for The Hunt

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the cure for drowsiness and even though I have a sweet tooth that sure sounds like it would have me zooming around like the road runner.

Tovar@AMindfulCarnivore said...

Danger zone, Terry!

Terry Scoville said...

Well Rick, I consumed that dangerous dessert around 9 p.m. and managed to get to sleep by 1 a.m. Did feel a bit hungover the next day yet once in awhile I enjoy the splurge.

Tovar, I could not have said it any better. Perhaps splitting one will be my next approach.

Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

Maybe THATS what I need to get my carpet shampooed! Is that legal??

Terry Scoville said...

Karen, yes it is legal and I am confident it will help you get the job done in short order! Keep me posted, LOL.

Jennifer Montero said...

Man, that recipe ticks ALL the boxes for me: lots of chocolate, strong coffee, and a chance to use up some of my backlog of eggs (at 7 dozen and counting). That's gonna stretch my camo pants!

I should send you my recipe for chocolate espresso pecan pie. . .

Blessed said...

That looks pretty awesome... I'm going to try that sometime soon!

gary said...

Sounds like I could handle it for breakfast the morning before heading up the hill after bear next saturday. As sensitive as Sue is to caffiene though it appears I'll have to hog the little treat. I'd hate to have her pass me!

Terry Scoville said...

Jennifer, it ticked all the boxes for me too and yes on the pants.

Blessed, if you like chocolate I don't think you can go astray with this one.

Gary, I am confident that not only will you beat Sue to the Mtn. top, but also the Chukars!

Deer Passion said...

Oh, my. I decided to read some of my favorite blogs tonight so that I would keep my post-baby paunch out of the kitchen. Then I find this. Thanks, Terry (hear the sarcasm?).

It honestly looks delicious, though. I think I'm gonna have to try it!!

Terry Scoville said...

Well DP, I say go for it and moderation is the key. Just don't eat all 10 servings and you'll be golden!

Dar said...

My first visit here and what do I see,? but one of my passions...cho. and coffee..I've made the cake in a cup but not with the expresso added...that's about to change.

??Question...What is this Sawyer brand you use for lymes? Is it something my son should try? He has the Lymes Disease too. Dreadful

If you get a chance, let me know, is it a repellent or cure?

BlessYourHeart

Terry Scoville said...

Dar, thanks for visiting and I am sure you'll love the recipe with espresso in it. Especially good for getting you going in the morning.
As for Sawyer, it is a spray on (clothes only)repellent for ticks and other nasty insects and parasites. I have been told it works well as it has permethrin in it. Permethrin is used by the military, so it must do the job I figure. Feel free to email me if I can be of any further help to you. I wasn't able to find your email address on your blog. Sorry to hear your son has Lymes disease. My best to you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails