Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Overlapping Passions

Well I thought I'd take a few minutes and tell you a bit more about myself and how I spend my time. If you've looked at my Gunning Boxes and read some of my blog than you are beginning to understand my preoccupation with attention to detail and the little things. Having invested a great portion of my life in hand built furniture (which I design) I know something about "those little things". Otherwise why spend the time and energy doing such work? Just as I spend countless hours laying in the field looking at my decoys and trying to figure out how to outwit the real birds. I am asking myself if my "set" looks realistic?...that is to whatever type of waterfowl I am trying to lull in. Maybe there's one, or a few decoys that aren't quite right and that can make all the difference. To some extent this is a judgement call that not will hold true 100% of the time. I look at them(the decoys) from several angles and try to determine if they look "natural" and not to orderly. Often it's best to not mix Canada and Spec decoys, but to keep them in like groupings for optimal results. Just as there are some basic "do's and don'ts" when it comes to woodworking and furniture design. The same is true in setting decoys, be it goose shells, floating geese and the likes for ducks. Not to mention dabblers and divers and their tendencies, and weather too. Learning to make those adjustments with your decoys may be just the trick to getting them cupped and committed. So the next time you see a group of live birds in a field, take some mental pictures of them and put that to use the next time you make your decoy set.
We all put alot of time and energy into our hunting(not to mention cost) so why not try to maximize your efforts. Don't be afraid to try something new, you might just be pleasantly surprised!

Women's Hunting Journal Integrity For The Hunt

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails